Breaking News

Noel Gallagher On Damon Albarn, Blur And Working With The Gorillaz


Taken from the current issue of Q.



"'Beetlebum' is probably my favourite song of Damon's. When I first heard it for the first time I did think 'Shit, I wish I written that.' When I first heard Blur I thought they were very English, like The Kinks. When it came to all the other projects he was doing I thought, 'when does this fella go on holiday?'

"How we buried the hatchet is a well-worn tale but we literally bumped into each other at some bar one night. Literally at the bar. I think I was getting served first, I got him a drink and it went from there. I don't remember asking to be on a Gorillaz record. I do remember being at Paul Simonon's one night and 'it' being discussed. He was suppose to play on 'Who Built The Moon?' but we couldn't make the timings work. Maybe next time. If you'd told my younger self that he'd one day be singing on a record by Damon Albarn he would have laughed and probably said, 'If either of you are still going it will be a fucking miracle - a sick joke that will fascinate speccy, Guardian-reading journalists for years.'

"I really love working and hanging out with that mob. Not just Damon, but all his people. It turned out we had a lot of mutual friends and they're all cool as fuck. The Gorillaz shows at the O2 recently were two mega nights out. He has that annoying habit of texting me whenever Chelsea beat City, needless to say he's been pretty fucking quite lately. But as for what we talk about? Depends on what's going on I suppose. As it usually revolves around a period of 'consumption', I'm not sure I can actually remember."

No comments