Breaking News

Noel Gallagher On 'Who Built The Moon?', David Holmes, Donald Trump, U2 And More


Below is a interview with Noel Gallagher from German Magazine Intro.

PLEASE NOTE the interview has been translated using Google Translate, find the original article here.

Noel, you are considered someone who usually prepares and goes to the studio with already finished demo songs. Through the producer David Holmes you have given the familiar control in part and even let him give you instructions. How hard was that for you? 

To be honest, it was not hard. Of course, going to the studio without finished songs is brave, but I'm fuckin 'brilliant at improvising. I have reached a point where I can do anything. I can definitely afford it. However, I had a short-term fear that the recordings lead to nowhere. Ultimately, it worked, and I really enjoyed this way of working. David Holmeswas pretty strict to me. Whenever I came up with ideas that told Oasis, he said, "Stop playing that!" He gave me advice like, "Play it the way Blondie would play it." I was just sick of it, always with me my acoustic guitar to play songs about the weather. So it seemed like time to try something different.

On the bonus version of the album, " Dead In The Water " is a very touching song. Only you with the acoustic guitar and otherwise very Spartan instrumentation. My girlfriend had tears of emotion in her eyes. Why is not this piece on the new record? 

I'll tell you a story: During the tour to "Chasing Yesterday" I had a longer period of free time, I sat in a hotel room and wrote the song within an hour. It just fell out of the sky. Some time later I was with my band at an Irish radio station where we played "The Dying Of The Light". After that we had some time left, and I started playing Dead In The Water. Just for me. Then the band got in - it was one of those magical moments you can not buy. I'm proud of the piece because it shows the essence of my work, the other Noel Gallagher . Stripped down.When we discussed the compilation of the songs of "Who Built The Moon?", The question arose as to whether there would be bonus content, and I said, "No, I have to disappoint you." But fortunately, this live version became recorded - which I did not know at this time. I am glad that the piece has not been lost. I can understand that your friend had to cry, because when I listened to it again, I immediately thought: girls will cry to this piece. Why the piece did not land on the regular album? Well, it's too fuckin 'good. I was just in the moment, started singing, and that's it . I'll do it all for myself, not you, not your girlfriend. I'm just trying to savor the pure moment.

We live in troubled times, the world has to endure , for example, Donald Trump . How can you act as an artist? 

Two things: Why does the world have to endure Donald Trump? Why do people even care? Everyone has an opinion on Trump, people go on anti-Trump demonstrations. But honestly, he is not my president. Of course he's an asshole because he's a narcissist. If I lived in America, I would have an opinion on him, but that is not the case. I could not fucking care less . He has no influence on my life, in any way.

You supported U2 on her last tour. Bono is now a good friend of yours. He combines his role as a singer with political commitment. What do you like about him, when you seem to have opposing views on that point? 

He is a very passionate person, full of dedication. He tries everything to have a good time. And that translates to the people in his environment. He just became a good friend. What can I say to the guy who is on stage? The lyrics are great and he has a great band in his back. He just finds the right words. That impresses me perhaps the most.

I do not want to upset you and ask you for the umpteenth time for a potential Oasis Reunion. Still, I would like to ask you one last question about your brother . Liam has released his solo debut. Did you hear the record , and if so, do you like it? 

Eh. I do not actually listen to stuff from people I'm not a fan of. I listened to a few pieces. And yes, I can understand why the album works. Let's put it this way: People who love this kind of music will be able to listen to it satisfied. In any case, I'm not interested in what Liam says. Recently I met two people in the street, saying it was better than anything from Oasis. Really?

Thanks to capanb2000 & joladella

No comments