Breaking News

Ryan Adams On Oasis: ‘They’re Like Star Wars’


Ryan Adams has spoken out in praise of Oasis – calling on fans to vote for the movie Supersonic at the V05 NME Awards 2017, and comparing the band to Star Wars.

Earlier this week, Adams announced his upcoming 16th album with the new single ‘Do You Still Love Me’. Looking forward to the year ahead, we asked who he’d nominate for the VO5 NME Awards 2017, when he revealed that Supersonic would be his choice for ‘Best Music Film’.

“I walked into the theatre and I was bummed out,” Adams told NME. “I watched Supersonic, and I felt reinvigorated in a way I had not felt for so long. In fact I walked into rehearsals and we did something like six or seven hours straight of songs, where I just threw every single song I had ever written at the band to just see how many they could play until they were stumped. I was just so pumped.

“It’s nice to see how crucial this shit is on film. It should be no secret that being in a rock n’ roll band is fucking amazing and transformative. I thought the director did such a good job, because he made it fun to watch and kept a lot of the stuff out that mind have slowed it down.”

He added: “Oasis are like Star Wars – they’re like the fucking heroes returning. I mean, if you think about it, like Noel Gallagher is fucking Han Solo – he doesn’t give  a shit what you think about him, he’s gonna take the Millennium Falcon, which is his band, and just completely dupe the entire Empire. It really is so important that people know that fucking electric guitars can transform your whole entire spectrum of reality.”

Adams has toured with Oasis in the past, famously recording a cover of ‘Wonderwall’. Earlier this year, Noel Gallagher supported him in the US, with Adams performing renditions of ‘Morning Glory’ and ‘Supersonic’ during his set.

Speaking of the ‘genius’ of the Gallaghers, Adams continued: “One of the really crucial things of that film is that at the time that Oasis made their first record and were gonna become who they were, that most of the stuff around them that was turning to become noticeable was sort of dance music in the beginning of what later would become EDM. And just the early existence of that music, I don’t know much about the categorization of music but maybe that’s what people call like house music? But there wasn’t any band like Oasis when they came out, there wasn’t anything that, in my opinion, sounded anything like, what I think was like a tank made of diamonds, and they were just crushing posers everywhere.”

He added: “That’s what it felt like when I heard those riffs. I was like ‘wow, someone is actually playing like fucking huge riffs’ and the melodies were insane. I don’t ever listen to Oasis and ever feel weighed down by the ego of anyone in the band, even as egotistical as someone might want to say they were in interviews  – although a lot of that I think is them being funny because why not?

“I think the songs are so open, and that why they could play those tremendous concerts where its like a quarter of million people were there singing along, was because they were writing songs that could just open doors to everyone. To me, if anything says that at any one can do this; someone can play a riff on the guitar, and people can get so excited that they remember what that means…it sort of reaffirms the humanity that’s in all of us.”

Source: www.nme.com

No comments