Breaking News

Liam Gallagher: 'I Like John Lennon More Than Paul McCartney'













Beady Eye mainman Liam Gallagher has spoken about his love of John Lennon and has revealed that he likes Lennon more than his bandmate Paul McCartney.

The singer, who was speaking in this week's issue of NME which names Lennon as the Ultimate Musical Icon of the last 60 years, said that The Beatles' co-frontman "means everything to me".

Speaking about Lennon, Gallagher said: "John Lennon means everything to me. I wouldn't say he's a better songwriter than McCartney, I'd say they're both different but great. But I like Lennon's stuff more because it's a bit more beautiful, and it's more mad."

He then spoke about Paul McCartney and compared him to his brother Noel, saying that they were both too nice.

He added: "McCartney's like Noel - he's too nice. Lennon was twisted and I like that kinda shit. His voice is the main thing I love. I like his speaking voice! That's pretty fucking mega. But his voice when he sings is the one. Political voice? Don't give a shit, couldn't care less about politics. But everything else - his singing voice, his songs, and his words – means the world to me."

Gallagher then said that he doesn't believe anyone can touch John Lennon as a songwriter, but that he reckons The La's' Lee Mavers has come closest.

He said of this: "As a songwriter, I don't think anyone's touched Lennon and I don't know if they ever will. Lee Mavers could have got near but he went down another road. Our kid's good but he lacks that fucking madness that Lennon had. He's a normal chap who writes decent songs, and Mavers was too mad."

He continued: "But Lennon had all that and more, and then he went somewhere else with it too. It's a constant thing with him, and I don't think I could ever get bored. You get bored of Lennon and you get bored of yourself, don't you? And I ain't getting bored of me."

To read a full feature about John Lennon, with the likes of The Maccabees, Alex Turner and Miles Kane paying tribute to him, pick up this week's issue of NME, which is on newsstands now or available digitally. 

Source: www.nme.com

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds embark on a UK tour in September and will tour the US and Canada alongside Snow Patrol and Jake Bugg later this year.

More details on the above dates and more can be found by clicking here.

1 comment

Paul McCartney said...

He said of this: "As a songwriter, I don't think anyone's touched Lennon and I don't know if they ever will. Great stuff!